What is promotional SMS vs. transactional SMS? by Rahul Am
Answer by Rahul Am:
[ Disclaimer: I work for& below answer may involve references to 2Factor’s or Documentation pages ]
In India, there are primarily two categories of messages ( as approved by TRAI, Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India )
- Promotional Messages:
Typically refers to any message sent for promoting / up-selling / advertising your business.
Such messages are not delivered to users, who have registered underlist and are delivered only between 09:00 AM to 09:00 PM to respect user’s sms preferences.
– Promotions announcing offers / discounts
“Buy today and get 10% off on order value above INR 350/-”
– Promotions introducing business to potential leads
“We are the leading bulk sms providers in India. Try our services at ”
- Non-Promotional / Transactional Messages:
Typically refers to, messages sent to users as an acknowledgement to the actions performed by them on your app / website.
Such messages are delivered to users, who have registered underlist as well and message delivery takes place 24×7 !
– User placed an order on your website → You sending them Order confirmation message
– User signed up with you → You sending them one time password (OTP) message
– User requested you to alert them when XYZ event happens → You sending them alert sms on triggering event X
As you just ready correctly, Transactional Messages are delivered to DND users as well & Businesses think it as a great advantage to deliver messages to greater reach. Sometimes they send promotional messages ( intentionally / UN-intentionally ) via Transactional route, without worrying about its consequences.
TRAI has a penalty matrix, where penalty amounts vary from INR 25,000/- to INR 2,75,000/- + legal prosecution for violating TRAI DND guidelines & it also affects the telemarketer license of the messaging service provider.
[ PS: We atoffer both Open template and Template Based SMS Sending]